Community remembers long time resident Rose Cohoon
I was saddened to hear last week that Rose Cohoon had passed away. I met Rose through through the Shepherd Area Historical Society.
A service will be held at the Westlawn Church of Christ in Shepherd, Michigan on Saturday, March 10th at 11 a.m. Visitation will be held at the Berry Funeral Home on Friday evening from 2 – 8 p.m., and at the Westlawn Church on Saturday at 10 a.m. before the service. Burial will in Salt River Cemetery with a meal following at the Westlawn Church of Christ.
Some key pieces of information from Rose’s life, based on the published obituary:
- Born February 7, 1916 in Lincoln, Maine
- Attended the Central State Teacher’s College (CMU) and graduated in June 1939
- Married Leo Cohoon of Shepherd, Michigan on August 7, 1939 in Lincoln, Maine
- She taught in Shepherd as a substitute and full time teacher in Shepherd, then for schools in Gratiot County. She retired from Alma Schools in 1975
- She became a member of the Orchard Avenue Church of Christ in September 1951 serving as teacher, Church officer, and holding several offices in the Women’s Council.
- She was a member and Past Matron of the Eastern Stars
- In 1979 she became a charter member of the Shepherd Area Historical Society holding office until 2002. She was SAHS President for seventeen years
- She served as a Girl Scout Leader from 1943 to 1945
Four members of the Shepherd High School Class of 1944 flank their former teacher, Rose Cohoon, age 101 (Rose is in the center). This photo was taken during their 73rd Year reunion on Saturday, August 20, 2017 at the Big Boy’s in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.